We are in the midst of a global crisis of perspective. We have forgotten the undeniable truth that every living thing is connected. This film is a provocative and breathtaking wakeup call - a cross continental, cinematic journey. The film takes us from one of the truly extraordinary event of our civilization, space travel, and looks at how this gave us a totally different perspective on the Earth. It is a humbling reminder of a near-incalculable breadth of our impact on the earth, intellectually challenges us to reconsider our relationship with our home and the urgency to shift our perspective - to remember that we are planetary.
Film Website - HERE Trailer - HERE
Announcement and Handout Sheets
IntroductionsFilm - Planetary: Reconnect to Somethibng Bigger
Film - Planetary: Reconnect to Something Bigger
Video - What's Possible
Related Videos and Articles
Video - PA Message from Jerry Mandering
Booklet - The Sylvanian from the Sierra Club
Discussion Paper - A New Climate Friendly Approach to Trade
February 2016 - Heist: Who Stole the American Dream
Film Synopsis - The film is stunning audiences across the globe as it traces the worldwide economic collapse to a 1971 secret memo entitled Attack on American Free Enterprise System. Written over 4o years ago by the future Supreme Court Justice Lewis Powell, at the behest of the US Chamber of Commerce, the 6 page memo, a free-market utopian treatise, called for a money fueled big business makeover of government trough corporate control of the media, academia, the pulpit, arts and science and destruction of organized labor and consumer protection groups.
Film Website - HERE! Film Trailer - HERE! Film Resource page - HERE!
* Welcome and Introductions
* Short discussion of the following:
^ Is the American Dream alive and well in the United States?
^ Do you agree that - Extreme economic inequality leads to political inequality which leads
to a dysfunctional representative democracy. We must fix this problem so we have a
better chance to fix all the other problems.
* Infographic - Size of the economic inequality problem -HERE! and HERE!
* Chart about economic inequality 1947-1979 compared to last 40 years - HERE!
Our film tonight is about how and why such extreme economic inequality happened in
the last 40 years.
* Heist: Who Stole the American Dream (and How We Can Get It Back) - HERE!
* Discussion - list of suggestions for changing the economic and political system so it
works for everyone. (back of the handout)
* Stay Informed, Get Involved, and Take Action Ideas (below)
* Video - CBS Sunday Morning show features 'Represent.Us' - HERE! (6)
Related Videos and Information:
* Wealth Inequality - HERE! (6)
* Video - Reform 2020 - HERE! (3)
* America the Possible - HERE! (6)
* Visualizing a Plenitude Economy - HERE! (5)
* Is the American Dream Still Alive - HERE! (7)
* Reform 2020 - HERE! (3)
* Marginal Tax Rates Explained - HERE!
* Les Leopold on Economic Inequality - HERE! (29)
Stay Informed, Get Involved and Take Action:
* Report on Economic Inequality and Mobility -HERE!
* Book - Runaway Inequality: An Activist's Guide to Economic Justice
by Les Leopold - HERE! (6)
* Book - Nation on the Take: How Big Money Corrupts Our Democracy and What We Can Do About It by Nick Penniman and Wendell Potter (2016) - HERE!
* Book - 10 Steps to Repair American Democracy by Steven Hill - HERE!
* Book - The Betrayal of the American Dream by Bartlett and Steele - HERE!
* Book - Who Stole the American Dream by Hedrick Smith - HERE! (21)
* Videos with Bartlet and Steele on Democracy Now - HERE (7) - HERE! (12)
* Website - What Went Wrong - HERE!
* Website - Reclaim the American Dream - HERE!
* Website - Center for the New American Dream - HERE!
* Website - FairVote - HERE!
* Website - Represent.Us - HERE!
* Website - Stand Up 4 Democracy - HERE!
* Website - Fair Districts PA - HERE!
* Take Action - Support the American Anti-Corruption Act - Click to add your name HERE!
* Take Action - Join the fight for Fair Districts PA - Click HERE for action alerts from
the Fair Districts PA group! Click HERE to tell your state senator to support this idea.
* Take Action - Support 'Democracy Awakening', April 16-18 in DC. Click HERE for info.
February 2015 - The Wisdom to Survive: Climate Change, Capitalism and Community
Film synopsis: This film accepts the consensus of scientists that climate change has already arrived, and asks what is keeping us from action? It explores how unlimited growth and greed are destroying the life support system of the planet, the social fabric of society, and the lives of billions of people. Will we have the wisdom to survive? The film features thought leaders and activists in the realm of science, economics and spirituality discussing how we can evolve and take action in the face of climate disruption. They urge us to open to the beauty that surround us and gets to work on ensuring it thrives.
Film Trailer: - HERE!
Film Website: - HERE!
* Video - Polar bears discussing Climate Change - HERE! (2)
* DVD - The Wisdom to Survive: Climate Change, Capitalism and Community (56)
* Video - Discussion of Ethical Action for a Planet in Peril - HERE! (6)
* What's Possible - HERE (4)
* Paul Hawkins on Sustainability - HERE! (21)
* James Hansen's TED Talk: Why I must speak out about climate change - HERE! (17)
* Matthieu Ricard: How to let altruism be your guide - HERE! (16)
* Authors discussion of Enough is Enough - HERE! (18)
* Naomi Klein interview (HERE) and article (HERE) on book "This Changes Everything"
* David Korten on his book "Change the Story, Change the Future?" - HERE!
* Disruption on climate change - HERE! (52)
* Bill McKibben: 'Do the Math' on climate change - HERE! (45)
* TED Talks on the Environment - HERE!
* What is the Genuine Progress Indicator? (Video - HERE! (7) Article - HERE!)
* Be A Localist Video - HERE! (3)* The Story of Solutions - HERE (9)
Film Discussion Guide: - HERE!
Film Comments and Questions:
* Free services performed by the environment for humankind worldwide comes to $30
trillion a year! (food, waste assimilation, etc) (Global GDP at the time was $18
trillion! (Click HERE for article on this idea)
* Joanna Macy has said that the flaw in our thinking that has led us to where we are now is
“imagining that we are separate from nature.” What does she mean? Is that similar to
comments in the January film "I AM". Discuss David Korten's new book!
* Bill McKibben says "Everything we do all day relies on fossil fuel: it's what made us rich.
The problem is the same fossil fuel is now killing us." What will it take for humans to
change course on climate change and environmental sustainability?
Ideas to Stay Informed, Get Involved, and Take Action!
Stay Informed: Articles and Books
* Article - What Is Our Moral Obligation In The Face Of Climate Change - HERE!
* Article - A New Story to Replace the Gospel of Money - HERE!
* Article - Top 10 Ways You Can Stop Climate Change - HERE!
* Article - 50 Ways to Help the Planet - HERE!
* Article - Food and Water Watch on Climate Change - HERE!
* Article - 'Energy Revolution': Nearly 100% Renewable Is Doable, says Report - HERE!
* Booklet "The Sylvanian" on ECO ABC's from PA Sierra Club for winter of 2015 - HERE!
* Book - Enough is Enough: Building a Sustainable Economy - HERE!
* Book - Change the Story, Change the Future? - HERE!
* Book - Sustainable Happiness: Live Simply, Live Well, Make a Difference - HERE!
* Book - Moral Ground: Ethical Action for a Planet in Peril - HERE!
* Book - The Crusade to Deny Global Warming - HERE!
* Book - The Ecology of Commerce: A Declaration of Sustainability - HERE!
* Occucards: Climate Change -HERE! Peak Oil - HERE! Tar Sands - HERE!
Fracking - HERE! Monsanto - HERE!
Get Involved: Websites of groups that are active on this issue!
* Sierra Club - HERE! PA Sierra Club - HERE! Lehigh Valley Chapter - HERE!
* Food and Water Watch - HERE! Food and Water Watch PA - HERE!
* Citizens Climate Lobby - HERE: Lehigh Valley Chapter - HERE!
* Berks Gas Truth - HERE! Lehigh Valley Gas Truth - HERE!
* 350.Org - HERE!
* US Climate Action Network - HERE!
* DeSmogBlog - HERE!
* Fossil Free USA - HERE!
* Business Alliance for Local Living Economies - HERE! Be A Localist Video - HERE! (3)
* List of Environmental Organizations (Local, State, National) - HERE!
* Important websites supporting the common good! - HERE!
*Take Action: Three things we can do!
1. Click HERE to hear President Obama's UN speech on climate change. Then
click HERE to demand he follow through with strong action.
2. Click HERE to read article about Fracking on Public Land! Then click HERE to sign
the Food and Water Watch Petition to Ban Fracking on public land.
3. Click HERE to read the talking points from 350.org about the Keystone XL pipeline and
to tell President Obama to stop it.
Proposal - A Fast Way to Get Public Support for Climate Change!
Idea for developing and implementing a large scale information campaign on climate change by Dan Poresky - click HERE and click the climate action tab to read the 4 page proposal! Contact Dan about his idea. Contact info is on his website.
Click HERE for Lehigh Valley Progressive Events Calendar!
February 2014 - Inequality for All
As Supreme Court Justice Brandeis said "We can have democracy, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." This new Robert Reich documentary called 'Inequality for All' is an argument on behalf of the middle class. The film looks at the how we became so unequal, how that affects our democracy, and what we can do to change the system so it works well for everyone.
Film trailer: click HERE!
Film website: click HERE!
Here are the five suggested actions from the film website.
1. Raise the minimum wage! The Fair Minimum Wage Act would raise that to $10.10.
2. Strengthen Workers Rights! Public policy should support workers who choose to unionize.
3. Invest in education so everyone has access to a great eduction from early childhood to post-secondary!
4. Reform Wall Street! Support the 21st Century Glass Steagall Act of 2013!
5. Fix the Tax System! Be an advocate for economic justice.
6. Get Big Money Out of Politics!
Economic Inequality Statistics:
1. 400 richest Americans have more wealth than the bottom 150 million Americans put together.
2. CEO of Walmart make in one hour what the average employee makes in one year!
3. CEO Pay vs Average Worker - US 475 to 1, Mexico 47 to 1, Japan 11 to 1!
4. In 2010, 93 % of all new income went to the top 1%!
5. Any of the ten richest US people could use their yearly income to house the 633,000 U.S. homeless for a year.
Ideas to Stay Informed, Get Involved, and Take Action on this issue!
Bills and Petitions to support or oppose and other action ideas:
1. Support Minimum Wage Raise Petition - HERE!
2. Petition to support Preschool for All - HERE!
3. Support Reinstating the Glass-Steagall Act Petition - HERE!
4. Support Democracy is For People Petition to Overturn Citizens United - HERE!
5. Americans for Financial Reform and click Action - HERE!
Websites: Google the following groups that are active on this issue!
Raise the Wage PA - HERE!
Citizens for Tax Justice - HERE!
Americans for Tax Fairness - HERE!
Inequality.org - HERE!
Public Citizen - HERE!
Americans for Financial Reform - HERE!
Articles, Videos, Books:
* Article - Fact Sheet: Why We Need the Corporate Income Tax - HERE!
* Article - Five Things You Should Know on Tax Day: Findings from Recent CTJ Reports - HERE!
* Video - Wealth Inequality in America (6) - HERE!
* Video - TED Talk by Richard Wilkinson on How economic inequality harms societies - HERE!
* Article - Do You Understand How US Tax Brackets Work? - HERE!
* Book - The Price of Inequality: How Today's Divided Society Endangers Our Future by Joseph Stiglitz - Click HERE for interview with author.
* Book - 99 to 1: How Wealth Inequality is Wrecking the World and What We Can Do About It by Chuck Collins - Click HERE for interview with author.